I recently was helping a friend with some computer trouble which resulting in me first creating a full disk Image backup using “dd”. I’ve done this before years ago, but I wanted to add some of the common dd backup/restore methods to my notepad. There are so many articles online on how to use dd to do a Full disk backup and restore it. I will be using similar methods.
- if — input device (file,hardware,CD,etc).
- of — output device (file,hardware,CD,etc).
- bs — sets “dd” read and write size.
- noerror — continues after read errors.
- readom — CD to ISO utility.
- mount — Linux command to mount file-systems
- gz — gunzip is a compression utility which helps to reduce the size of images created with dd.
- md5sum — a checksum utility to ensure integrity when moving large image files.